L&T TI CASE STUDY
2019 / / PREPARED BY AYUSH GARG
BUSINSS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
Larsen & Toubro Construction, India's largest construction organization and ranked among the world's top 30 contractors, has been transforming cityscapes and landscapes with structures of immense size and grandeur for the past seven decades. The company's capabilities span the entire gamut of construction – Heavy Civil, Transportation, Smart World, Communication, Power, etc - and its services extend to all core sector industries and infrastructure projects.
Perhaps the Transportation & Infrastructure side of any company seems to be the one with most challenges as it is very different from other construction projects. Similarly, L&T construction also faced many challenges of which the major ones have been listed below:
- Road constructions are huge activities and often times, construction companies need to segregate these big projects into many smaller chainages so they can keep a proper eye on their development. All of the chainages require individual inspections that look over WBS and Activities for them. Several thousands of Quality Inspections mean a big pile
of paperwork that can take a long time to go through.
- Pro–Cube, a project management application was being used by L&T construction to store and access all their WBS data, Chainage data and User data. It is an important application for their process and was also being used to check the
progress of various activities manually. The application needed to be updated often with new data too which was creating more problems rather than solving them.
- The Quality inspection process done by L&T construction had a big workflow network that proceeded from Site Engineers > Planning Engineer > Quality Inspectors > Customer Inspections > Billing Engineers which as we can conclude, consumed a lot of time, was highly inefficient and manually dependant.
- Whether it is material and lab testing or it is apparatus calibration, any results achieved by on the following tasks needed to be transferred into the Pro–Cube application from time to time which was a hectic activity. Whenever an inspection is requested, it follows a path where the quality inspector visits the site to complete it and then sends his findings back to the office for validation which would then later be sent to the end customer for verification. This is a regular process and it severely affects the closing times of inspections.
- Several apparatuses were being carried around by Quality Inspectors in order to complete their inspections. It was becoming a major uprising issue for the company as only those apparatuses that were calibrated properly could be used during an inspection. These apparatuses also needed to be reconfigured periodically to check 0 their validity. Ex: Proctor Mold, Dial Gauge, Rapid Moisture Meter, Measuring Tape, etc.
- Inspections at L&T construction can get a bit tricky with the use of multiple mathematical formulas. These formulas are required to ascertain certain values of resources used in the construction process and are a key factor in determining their 07 quality. Ex: Density, volume, depth and weight of several resources.
With Pro–Inspector’s help, the digital transformation of the many audit cycles of L&T proved seamless and fruitful. With their Quality Inspection now going completely digital, they will have an increased amount of transparency over their processes. Decision making will become extremely efficient as well.
- With all the inspection related activities like requests for inspections, approvals and validation going digital, there’s no need for paperwork to be a major factor anymore. In fact, it’s not even required as everything takes place within ProInspector application.
- A perfect bridge between Pro–Inspector and Pro–Cube is created by our team which helps fetch and sending of data between both applications
- extremely fast and safe. This converts the whole process revolving around Pro–Cube a good deal. Most of the company’s time is saved when the process isn’t so manually dependent like how it was in the past. Once an inspection is completed
by the quality inspector, it is automatically converted into a report and sent to those in charge for validation depending on the workflow.
- Closing times are shortened by a great amount as lot of manual effort is removed from the cycle. Transparency with tracking an inspection also increases as you can look at the progress from within the application at any time.
- With the Apparatus Calibrations now being integrated into Pro–Inspector, the quality team could us any of the calibrated apparatuses while performing quality inspections. This not only makes sure that only properly calibrated apparatuses be used by quality inspectors, but also provides confidence to the company on the authenticity of their quality inspections.
- Unlimited Configurable Checklists
- Checklist Scheduling
- Integration with Pro Cube
- Apparatus Calibration
- Material Testing
- Parallel and Sequential Workflow
- Multiple User Accounts for Client and their Customers
- Non Conformance Tracking
- Dashboard Statistics
- Highly Configurable Checklists for all Scenarios
- Simple UI Fit for Everyone
- Apparatus Calibration Integration
- Notification Alerts for Quick Deployment
- Situational Evidences for NCs
- Reports with Digital Signatures
- Fast NCR Tracking and Closing
- Statistical Data for Fast Decision Making